We’re on the hunt for an experienced technologist to be our software architect. You’ll collaborate across the company with product managers, engineers, designers, and leadership to push Square Root and our product, CoEFFICIENT, forward. This role is a combination of an architecture advocate and a technical leader with business perspective. You’ll take ownership of the architecture and weigh the goals, costs, and benefits to translate business needs into a technical strategy and timeline. To make it all happen, you’ll need tech savvy, good instincts when it comes to designing enterprise-class web architecture, and a passion for making others around you successful.
Sound like your bread and butter? Keep reading!
- Solve complex challenges including how to navigate a variety of needs such as evolving a legacy architecture, new feature development, rapid scaling, security, and multi-tenancy
- Balance long-term vision with short-term pragmatism, and communicate the two in context of each other, helping the team understand the rationale
- Weave your experience and feedback from our team + clients into a technical vision for our product
- Nurture our product engineers to think with architecture design in mind through mentorship, coordination of work, and feedback on their ideas
- Explore opportunities with our Sales team and use your experience to unearth creative solutions and appropriately scope them in conversations and contracts
- Play a role in helping Square Root grow!
- You’ve demonstrated your ability as a leader and technologist with 10+ years of software engineering experience
- You’ve got experience with SaaS architecture in a cloud setting, leveraging containerization, serverless tech, event driven architecture, and microservices
- You’re an excellent communicator. You understand the goals, know what’s practical to achieve, are willing to compromise, and clear + concise in explaining to any audience (engineers, remote teams, customers, and business leaders)
- You’re innately curious and fanatical about learning, especially when it comes to understanding dev best practices, trends, and techniques
- You’ve got a good eye for security and scale. You can whiteboard with the best of them, and also do code reviews to help folks implement the details
- You're a natural teacher and allow your students to make mistakes as they learn -- and challenge you when you make mistakes, too
- You’re positive, empathetic, adaptable, and always ready to pitch in and help.
- Experience with Rails + the Ruby stack and ecosystem is a strong plus.
We're always looking for people to add to and evolve our culture + company. We want you to bring your unique experience and perspective, so don't worry about checking all the boxes. If our values and mission resonate with you, please apply!
- Please apply with a cover letter that details why you’re a fit for the role and Square Root!
Our Radical Culture
Our culture is at the core of everything we do. As we grow we’re not only looking to hire the best and brightest, but we’re also looking for people that share our values. This is the code we live by:
- Think big. Do bigger. Big ideas are meant to be pursued. We have a bias for action, iteration, and impact.
- Be Customer Inspired. Our customers’ toughest challenges inspire us to build innovative software. We delight them by deeply understanding their business and driving results.
- Partner. We’re approachable, dependable, and collaborative. We go above and beyond to help our customers, our partners, and one another succeed.
- Thrive. We revere personal and professional growth. We recognize individuality, embrace authenticity, and celebrate each other’s success.
The Good Stuff
Founded in Austin, Texas, we’ve been bootstrapped and profitable since our start in 2006. Along the way, we’ve added a slew of benefits + perks inspired by our team of Radicals. Here’s a sneak peek:
- Flexibility: no dress code, office hours, or vacation policy
- Competitive benefits and compensation
- Cozy campus of five 1920’s craftsman homes in downtown
- Radicals get $3,000 a year to learn anything (seriously!)
- Team lunches, stocked kitchen + bar, coffee-snob compliant coffee machines
Square Root is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.